Stone Barns Center
Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture is a nonprofit organization on a mission to create a healthy and sustainable food system. We are working to develop a culture of eating based on what farms need to grow to build healthy soil and a resilient ecosystem. In our quest to transform the way America eats and farms, we convene changemakers, educate food citizens, train farmers, and develop agroecological farming practices.
Stone Barns Center has an immediate opening for a full-time Assistant Grazier. This position reports to the Grazier (Manager) responsible for the management and operations associated with the health and welfare of all ruminant species in our intensive 100% grass-fed system. The pastures cover approximately 330 acres of grasslands.
The Assistant Grazier is responsible for supporting all aspects of production associated with the Center’s multispecies grazing program across all grasslands in accordance with a Conservation Action Plan. The Assistant Grazier will execute intensive rotational grazing plans for cattle, sheep and goats, including maintaining animal records and tracking programs. S/he will be responsible for conducting grazing schedules, mowing/haying and stockpile systems. S/he will assist with the breeding and record keeping of sheep flocks and the associated lambing program, the cattle finishing program and seasonal trail and fence-line management with the goat flock.
The Assistant Grazier must have experience with large ruminant animals and equipment operation and have a basic understanding of grassland and pasture ecosystems management. This individual will work within an integrated team of farmers, researchers and other experts to further the development of a resilient agro-ecological system, explore symbiotic relationships between animals, plant-base and soil ecology and contribute to farm innovation and experimentation.
- Provide support for care and welfare of farm sheep flocks including breeding, lambing, medical and grazing records
- Assist with care and welfare of finish stock (cattle & goats)
- Execute operational needs associated with the comprehensive grazing plan as per Grazier
- Work in association and coordination with Grassland team as needed
- Support maintenance of all fencing, tools and equipment related to grazing operations
- Coordinate and execute mowing and limited haying operations with Grazier
- Develop and execute goat grazing operations for trailside and fence-line maintenance
- Support processing operations as needed for ruminants
- Maintain daily operational records of grazing systems
- Work within a unified farm team of leaders and spokespeople
Required Skills and Experience:
- Commitment to Stone Barns Center’s mission
- Previous experience with large ruminant animals at a production scale
- A clear understanding of grassland & pasture ecosystems management
- Well organized, able to prioritize and manage a full and diverse workload, take initiative and be proactive
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Professional maturity and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communications skills
Stone Barns Center offers a salary commensurate with experience and comparable to other non-profits in this area and comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401k plan and paid time off. This is a full time, non-exempt position.
Please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Stone Barns Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.