- 1 lb beets (about 3 medium-sized) beets, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram sprig, or thyme or savory, or 1 teaspoon of any of these, dried.
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream, lightly whipped
- Croutons (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs like dill or marjoram
Cook the beets, onion, and marjoram in the butter in a 4-quart pot over medium heat until the onions begin to soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
Add the stock, partially cover the pot, and simmer slowly for about 30 minutes, until the beets are completely soft. Cook longer if needed.
Puree the soup in a blender or food processor
Add the cream and vinegar and bring the soup back to a simmer.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls garnished with whipped cream and fresh herbs.