Blue Hill at Stone Barns is a world-renowned, award-winning restaurant located in one of the historic stone buildings at Stone Barns Center—and it plays a vital role in helping advance our mission. The partnership between Stone Barns Center and Blue Hill is mutually reinforcing and supportive: a nonprofit organization and a business working hand-in-hand on the same land toward the shared goal of changing the way America eats and farms.
The chefs at Blue Hill partner with the farmers at Stone Barns to demonstrate innovative farm-driven cuisine for our visitors and program participants, bringing the field and pasture to the plate and increasing awareness of our shared philosophy. Farmers, chefs and educators all work together to advance innovation and experimentation in sustainable agriculture and the creation of delicious, nutritious cuisine. As a celebrated restaurant, Blue Hill wields a strong influence on the food-system dialogue in which other chefs, suppliers, corporations and eaters are taking part.
Some examples of our unique partnership:
- Stone Barns farmers work closely with Blue Hill chefs in seed trials, in which new varieties of vegetables are grown and harvested on the farm and then prepared in imaginative ways for diners—a collaboration that can help open up new markets for small farmers.
- Chefs and farmers make new discoveries together, such as the sweetness of a certain variety of parsnip, and then collaborate on inventive preparations. In the case of the parsnip, people crave it like chocolate.
- When we convene key audiences, we work together through farming, food and ideas to spark the imagination of people who are working to bring change to their own communities.
- Blue Hill experiments with using heat generated from farm compost to fuel cooking and creativity.
- Through Stone Barns Center’s public education programming, Blue Hill staff teach in-the-kitchen classes for children and adults, featuring seasonal ingredients from the farm.
- Blue Hill purchases approximately 70% of what’s grown and raised on the farm at Stone Barns. (Blue Hill also buys from other farmers and producers in the region.)
Blue Hill at Stone Barns, along with its sister restaurant in Manhattan, Blue Hill, is owned and managed by Dan, David and Laureen Barber. Click here for more information.
Sign up for more farm-driven inspiration from Stone Barns. And check out our blog for seasonal recipes and inspiration!