- through our social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, collectively “social media pages”)
- through HTML-formatted email messages that we send to you
Collectively, we refer to the website, social media pages and email messages as our “Services”
Collection of Personal Information
Stone Barns Center will only collect personal information which is specifically and knowingly provided by a user. Examples of such information are: name, postal address, e-mail address, phone number and product commentary. Stone Barns Center will not collect information that is irrelevant to the operations of Stone Barns Center. We collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- through our Services, such as when you sign up for a newsletter or make a purchase
- offline, such as when you visit our farm, attend one of our events, or place a ticket order over the phone or in person.
Use of personal Information
We use Personal Information for legitimate business purposes including:
- Providing the functionality of our Services and fulfilling your requests.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as when you send us questions, suggestions, compliments or complaints, or request a brochure or other information.
- To complete your transactions and provide you with related customer service.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- Providing you with our newsletter and other marketing materials and facilitating social sharing.
- To send you marketing related emails, with information about our organization and our products and services.
We will engage in this activity with your consent or where we have a legitimate interest.
- To send you marketing related emails, with information about our organization and our products and services.
- Analysis of Personal Information for business reporting and providing personalized services.
- To analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so we can improve our Services.
- To better understand your preferences so that we can deliver content via our Services that we believe will be relevant and interesting to you.
- Aggregating and/or anonymizing Personal Information.
- We may aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose.
- Accomplishing our business purposes.
- For data analysis, for example, to improve the efficiency of our Services;
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory, and/or contractual requirements;
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft;
- For developing new products and services;
- For enhancing, improving, or modifying our current products and services;
- For identifying usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to users;
- For determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users; and
- For operating and expanding our business activities, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to our users so we can focus our energies on meeting our users’ interests.
disclosure of personal information
We disclose Personal Information:
- To our third party service providers, to facilitate services they provide to us.
- These can include providers of services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other services.
other uses and disclosures
We also use and disclose your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate, especially when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations.
- This can include laws outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with public and government authorities.
- To respond to a request or to provide information we believe is important.
- These can include authorities outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with law enforcement.
- For example, when we respond to law enforcement requests and orders or provide information we believe is important.
- For other legal reasons.
- To enforce our terms and conditions; and
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction.
- We have a legitimate interest in disclosing or transferring your Personal Information to a third party in connection with any reorganization, merger, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
other information and collection of other information
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual.
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner such that it no longer reveals your specific identity
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device:
– Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Using cookies
- Using pixel tags andother similar technologies
– Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) and other similar technologies may be used to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- IP Address
– Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications, and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems, and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Services and other websites or online services.
Stone Barns Center has implemented security features and management guidelines to safeguard the privacy of user information from unauthorized access or improper use, and we will continue to enhance our security procedures as new technology becomes available.
choices and access
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving email marketing from us: You may opt out of receiving marketing e-mail from us by following the instructions contained in each such e-mail message.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes: If you prefer that we discontinue sharing your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please send your request to us at the contact information in the section entitled “Contacting Us,” below.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable.
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, restrict, or delete Personal Information that you have previously provided to us, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of your Personal Information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may do so using the contact information in the section entitled “Contacting Us,” below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database, or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion of the transaction).
We retain Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Services to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using the Services);
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations).
Credit card transactions made are processed by a third party that follows the highest industry standards for security of credit card information.
Any inquiries, comments or questions concerning the information collected from a customer, or concerning this General Privacy and Data Collection Policy, should be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture
630 Bedford Road
Pocantico Hills, NY 10591
This policy updated on May 24, 2018